Helping Hands 2022 Breaks Records with $3 Million Raised
FEBRUARY 8, 2023
With their final show of the year, Metallica blew the roof off The Microsoft Theater for the third Helping Hands Concert & Auction. Thanks to the support of fans and sponsors, the evening raised approximately $3,000,000 - a total higher than the first two benefits combined!
The December 16 event was elevated to new heights thanks to some serious star power. The evening’s host, Jimmy Kimmel, and surprise guest, Robert Downey Jr., contributed their talents and platforms to help spread AWMH’s message. Greta Van Fleet set the tone for the evening with a spectacular opening performance. And St. Vincent joined Metallica for a stunning rendition of “Nothing Else Matters.” All these elements combine for not just a memorable night in Los Angeles but for fans worldwide streaming the show live on Paramount+, MTV’s YouTube channel, and PlutoTV.
As much about highlighting philanthropy as it was about entertainment, six organizations doing essential work year-round were honored. Each group had representatives participate in the program and received a grant of $25,000. We were also thrilled to host Reggie Gregory, one of our Metallica Scholars, who spoke about what this program means to her.
Helping Hands 2022 Photo Gallery
Learn About The Honorees
- Baby2Baby provides children living in poverty with diapers, clothing, and all the basic necessities that every child deserves, especially in times of disaster.
- First Star provides high school youth in foster care with the opportunity, tools, and support to successfully transition to self-sufficiency through higher education or other viable pathways.
- Feeding America advances change in America by ensuring equitable access to nutritious food for all in partnership with food banks, policymakers, supporters, and the communities they serve.
- World Central Kitchen is first to the frontlines, providing meals in response to humanitarian, climate, and community crises. They build resilient food systems with locally-led solutions.
- The mikeroweWORKS Foundation is on a mission to help close the skills gap by challenging the stigmas and stereotypes that discourage people from pursuing the millions of available jobs.
- The Skatepark Project helps underserved communities create safe and inclusive public skateparks for youth, favoring projects that have strong community involvement, grassroots fundraising, and a base of support from the skaters, parents, law enforcement, and local leaders.
We cannot thank the Metallica Family and AWMH supporters enough for joining us to create an event we’ll never forget. As always, we encourage you to find a cause that inspires you - whether it’s related to AWMH or not - and give back your time, money, voice, or however you can.